Saturday, February 22, 2020

NaMoPaiMo: Week III: Ch-Ch-Changes!

As per usual, the weekend I did not paint. What WAS unusual was that I did not resume painting until Wednesday. Monday, I was just not feeling well and the idea of smelling sealer was not appealing in any way, shape or form. Instead, following last week's trend with Lucky-Rory served as inspiration

"A little less than 2 weeks left! You've got this!"
Tuesday I had an interview for a new job that was an hour and forty minutes drive from me as well as a riding lesson that I needed to teach that evening.

When I did resume work on Wednesday, my poor dog, Lucky, tweaked something in his back again. This time has been the worst compared to his past times. I honestly worried that he was paralyzed in his hind end (thankfully it was not that extreme as he can still walk). There was an emergency visit to the vet and now he's on some pain killers and rest for two weeks.

(My precious Lucky before he tweaked his back, he's got several dog beds to lay on-and he's currently laying on his extra soft one now. Yes I am aware of the growth on his paw, it does not bother him so I've left it alone.)
I currently have WAY too many in progress horses and I think only one...no two, are currently a sales pieces. I am definitely remedying that after I finish my NaMoPaiMo model. At least they aren't all for my personal collection. Three are for friends, one is for a swap and then the rest are mine...oh boy.

(Not sure why Adipose's donkey was on my table...)
I've also neglected the Facebook page the last few days, which I'm making up for now, even as I write this blog. As I stated in the prequel, but it bears repeating here: I always want to ensure that people feel their efforts, struggles and hard work are acknowledged. 

(The "Pastel Table")
After several more layers of pastel on the points, I finally said "heck with it" and plopped my kirin back on the acrylic table to get some acrylic on the legs and muzzle to be closer in coloration to the mane, tail, feathers and beard. I don't mind how it looks as the pastels that remain on the legs still softened the shading enough for my tastes.

With the points done, I re-painted some of the yellow on the hooves, antler and scutes to make sure it would help with the subtle shading. From there, I did the first layer of gold...and I'm not sure I like the gold. I will most likely put one more layer of gold on tomorrow and if I still don't like it, I will switch over to silver.

Thursday, I focused on getting the antlers to silver as I really disliked the gold. It took several layers as my metallic paints are not great at covering other colors. Once there I started the eyes by putting down a white layer of paint...and then I stopped. Originally, I intended to paint blue eyes, but the more I thought about it, and the more I looked at the model, I just wasn't sure blue eyes were what this model needed. I set it aside for the rest of the day.


Today (Friday) I went with brown eyes, and I'm so happy I did! This kirin is really starting to look near completion! Once I finished the eyes, I went over some of the white dapples again as they've been fading with the sealer being added, and did one last layer of matte sealer.

(Tri-colored eyes before adding the pupil)
Once I'd applied the matte sealer I started on finishing the scales. First, I put down a layer of dark green nail polish which made the scales that much nicer and softened the shading further.

(It's so shiny!)
Aaaaannnd, I reached a stopping point again due to the scale texture being so visible. My original idea was to add glitter polish over the dark green, but now I’m wondering if it’s necessary? I have a whole weekend to ponder it so we’ll see. The end is in sight! We can do it!

Til the next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment